At Aotea New Zealand we are committed to protecting our precious environment. This is inline with our Vision and Mission.
- To be the Best Retailer in New Zealand
- To create a Real New Zealand Customer Experience in each Aotea New Zealand Store
Aotea New Zealand and the Environment:
Qualmark is New Zealand’s official star grading system and is a joint venture between Tourism NZ and the AA. Every company who is Qualmark rated has undergone a rigorous independent assessment and licensing process to become part of the Qualmark licensing system.
All businesses that have a Qualmark are assessed on their environmental performance, which recognises business for their initiatives in energy, waste, water, conservation and the community.
At Aotea New Zealand we endeavour to licence and re-lisence all our stores for the Qualmark standards. At Aotea New Zealand we follow these standards.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Office printouts are reused, including A4 paper, double sided printing is encouraged whenever possible, cardboard and plastics are recycled.
- Wherever possible we reuse or recycle.
- This includes re-using supplier cardboard boxes when on posting to customers.
- Aotea plastic bags are EPI developed. The plastics are biodegradable, decreasing the amount of plastic waste in the environment.
- Efficient use of water.
- We minimise the use of water wherever possible.
- All Aotea New Zealand stores have been upgraded to energy efficient LED lighting.
- As part of Aotea New Zealand store periodic refits we are upgrading our air conditioning and heating systems to the highest standards of efficiency; as shown on the Energy star rating labels. New stores also have the highest standards of air conditioning systems available.
- We have an efficient use of electricity protocol by turning off all non essential off whenever they are not in use and ensure air conditioning, lights, in store TVs, computers and heating are all turned off during non operating hours. As part of the periodical upgrades and new stores use sensor lights in non core areas.
- Stockroom, meal room and office lights are turned off when not in use.
- We track all our power usage across all stores to compare power consumption and look for areas for improvement between stores.
Buy locally made products:
- We make a conscious effort to by products produced and made in New Zealand and suppliers to transport without unnecessary packaging.
Be part of a sustainable local and New Zealand community:
- Aotea New Zealand stores contribute to local charities and initiatives by donating products and assisting our services wherever possible.
- Aotea Group produces a number of New zealand made product lines; including clothing, health and beauty products. This helps create jobs through New Zealand with its supply chain.
Occupational Health and Safety:
- In accordance with the law changes of April 2016 we have designated Health and Safety Officer and store reporting systems.
- If any accidents or incidents occur within stores senior staff are trained and hold First Aid Certificates.
- We endeavour to create an environmental awareness among staff and provide and ongoing education and training.
- Staff members are trained using a variety of internal and external training systems to provide an ongoing world class shopping experience.
- Being knowledgeable about, and promoting New Zealand made products helps reduce the carbon footprint of the products.
Emergency Scenario Drills:
- Each month we train our staff on different aspects of health and safety; this includes earthquake, fire and flooding.
- Health and Safety Meetings:
- Each store conducts a monthly meeting; which includes a section on health and safety.
- Any absent staff are updated by a Duty Manager
- Any changes to Policies and Procedures are individually explained to each staff member and records of this are kept.